Monday, January 19, 2009

Estoy Aqui!



Buenos!
That's short for "Buenos dias!" I've finally arrived, and so far I am loving it. These last few days have gone by quickly; this is already my fourth day here, and I'm sure the time will continue to fly by as I start teaching and become occupied with lots of work to do.

Classes start next week, but as of right now there is still so much to take in! First of all, I love my host family. There are three of us student teachers living with la familia Leon, and the family is so hospitable and gracious. Rosa, our host mother, cooks us delicious meals: gallo pinto (a traditional Costa Rican dish of rice and beans) for breakfast each morning, lots of chicken, tortillas, a really good lasagna, and lots of fresh fruit. For dessert after dinner we have plantains, which are sort of like fried bananas—they’re muy ricos! Rosa doesn’t speak English, but she understands us pretty well and continually encourages us to make her house our home, telling us to hang out in the living room and patio whenever we like. Jorge, Rosa’s husband, is also really kind and fatherly, driving us places and explaining things in English when we don’t understand. Rosa and Jorge have three children: Jorge, Mario, and Maria, all in their twenties and all of whom speak English very well. Maria still lives with her parents, though we don’t see her too much, and Mario and Jorge have their own place, though they are in and out of the house. Mario is great with computers and helped us get our internet up and running. The house is very nice; Deborah, Alyssa and I each get our own room, which is a luxury I wasn’t really expecting. We live within walking distance of a large supermarket as well as lots of little restaurants, and we can easily catch taxis and buses to get elsewhere.

On Sunday, we decided to explore downtown San Jose. We really aren’t very far from el centro; the bus takes us there for about 50 cents. (I think we figured out the bus system, but it took some trial and error. ;) ). Anyway, we wandered around downtown for a bit … they have lots of touristy shops as well as larger stores and things to see. We took our picture in front of the Teatro Nacional (I’ll have to visit another time to see inside, they say it’s very extravagant) and visited a big Catholic cathedral. I also got to try pipa, a fruit sort of like coconut. You hack off the top and stick a straw inside to drink the juice. Yum! And Costa Rican ice cream, helado, is pretty good, too.

All this week we have orientation at Lincoln School, meeting the staff, learning the rules and procedures, planning with our master teachers. It’s a beautiful campus, almost brand new, with a lovely view of the city and surrounding mountains. My master teacher, Jenny, is very nice and fun, and I’m excited to learn a lot from her. Next week I’ll get to meet my 7th graders! I’m pretty nervous about the planning part, since I’m not sure how to go about it, but the students will make it all worth it.

Well, that’s enough for now, I guess. This weekend the student teachers are planning a day trip to Tortuga, and island in the Pacific, so I really hope that pans out. Until then,
Hasta Luego!
Heather

7 comments:

  1. Heather I'm so glad that you made it finally!!!
    Your picture is beautiful and I miss seeing all of you!!
    I'm so glad that you are already loving every minute of Costa Rica!! (You'll have to soak in double the pleasure for my part too :)

    I love you and miss you~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Miss Heather! I'm glad to hear that you made it to CR and that you're enjoying your time there. Haha, Tortuga reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean as well as a certain golf cart with maroon paint crewed by Dr. S ;)

    "Oh great. Perfect."

    Miss you!
    -J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goshhh!! I know exactly where that picture's taken...and I haven't read your blog yet cuz I got so excited about the photo, so now I'll read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Heather, I'm so happy that you have a warm and welcoming host family--that can make all the difference! I'm drooling over the foods you mentioned. :) You are going to be great with the 7th graders, Heather. I know it's silly to say "don't worry, you'll be wonderful," since I think nerves come with the territory, but you will be wonderful! And it's good and natural to make mistakes. :)

    Oooh, I look forward to hearing about your day-trip if that pans out. Thanks for keeping us posted, amiga!

    Love and miss you, H

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, congrats! I didn't know you were going that far away to student teach! Very cool. I look forward to hearing from you when you come back home...in the meantime, I'm gonna have to watch for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather, congrats. I hadn't heard you were going so far away. I look forward to reading your blog and seeing you when you get home. Lovely pic. Linda

    ReplyDelete